DJ School UK
DJ School UK is a not-for-profit company, based in Leeds, with three clear missions:
1. To supply accessible, engaging and educational DJ and Music Production tuition, projects and workshops.
2. To use our activities to raise self-esteem and teach life-skills to the hard to reach, disadvantaged or otherwise vulnerable.
3. To raise the profile of our art form by formalising accreditation for DJs as musicians to levels equivalent to traditional instrumentalists.
- DJs are musicians
- The turntable is a musical instrument
- Learning to DJ can help people develop self-confidence, self-efficacy, communication, team-work and musical skills
DJing is easy and accessible at first but can be as hard as you can handle. It is fun, rewarding, a pathway into all music and can lead to a wide range of careers.
“DJing has a lot more to learn than just pushing buttons. There’s a whole range of rhythmic, melodic, listening and teamwork skills that you don’t see on the surface. There are hundreds of ways to make your own style. It’s so different to learning a conventional instrument, there are so many possibilities to how you use the equipment.”
We are part of Arts Together because we believe in the benefits of creativity for everyone.
Email: [email protected]
People you may meet
Hi, I am the founder of DJ School UK. I spent 25 years doing every type of DJ work from big festivals, live bands and small bars, to weddings and retail demonstrations. As a “jack of all trades” I set up DJ School UK to share my knowledge with the next generation.